I'm hoping to run two marathons in 2010, London and New York, all for Children with Leukaemia
If you want to sponsor me, you can do so at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JamesRunsLDN-NYC

All donations, both great and small, are hugely appreciated, and all funds go direct to the charity (I'll be paying for NY flights and accommodation myself)

Wednesday 7 January 2009

It's all about the view...

The advantages of training for a marathon is that it does force you to get off your butt and discover the great outdoors.

Unfortunately, if you live in W3, the great outdoors resembles something much like this:
Fortunately, just a small hop, skip and jump (or jog) away is the lovely Thames pathway.

Much nicer...

I'm learning that that runners are an industrious little bunch of people, and there's a whole online community where people share top running routes and favourite training areas.

So following a short dig around on some nifty training route-plotting website, I found a recommended running route which followed the river from Hammersmith Bridge to Barnes Bridge and back again (that's 12k, or 8.5miles if you please... Can i get a whoop-whoop?).

Although it was a freezing cold winter day, running through good ol' ancient west London along the river was pretty inspirational. It was almost enjoyable.

The Barnes stretch of the river is -for those not in the know- where the Cambridge / Oxford boat race takes place and the river is lined with many rowing clubs. Even in minus-C conditions there were some rowers out training.

They were the first people I saw during the entire hour-and-a-bit long run that I didn't envy.

It was bloody cold.

But the sight of them puffing along the river with bright red faces and very raw looking arms / hands did inspire me to a) keep going and b) get off the bridge ASAP coz there was a distinct wind chill factor.

But it was the furthest I've run so far and the truth is I could've kept going for a bit longer. And, most importantly, there was no further hamstring trouble thanks to three cracking (pun intended) trips to the chiropractor.

I'm taking this as a good sign... Here's to beating the 1hr 30min barrier.

But for that I'm going to have to find a longer route with an equally inspiring view...

1 comment:

BS&A said...

Cool! I am very impressed