I'm hoping to run two marathons in 2010, London and New York, all for Children with Leukaemia
If you want to sponsor me, you can do so at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JamesRunsLDN-NYC

All donations, both great and small, are hugely appreciated, and all funds go direct to the charity (I'll be paying for NY flights and accommodation myself)

Thursday 7 May 2009

Running to the Beat


Well, for better or worse, I appear to have been well and truly bitten by the running bug.

Determined to not lose my new levels of fitness I've already signed up for some more runs... 

These are:

  • 10k Battersea Park run - 13th June (8am - ARGH! Why 8am? I mean, puh-lease)
  • Run to the Beat Half Marathon - London, sometime in September

Run to the Beat (www.runtothebeat.co.uk) is an interesting one, because the entire distance is set to live and recorded music, so in theory should be a great atmosphere. (he says).

Rather alarmingly, whilst registering you have to declare your favourite music, artist and song to 'run to the beat' to.

UH OH.

As friends and followers of my blog will know, my taste in music is fairly trashy at the best of times. But i do at least recognize that this is something which should not be inflicted on other people. This is why iPods were invented, no?

But suddenly I'm presented with an interesting dilemma. 

Either... 

a) Tell the truth and enter fav running song but then run the risk of it actually playing over the darn speakers and causing mortifying levels of embarrassment... 

Or...

b) Blaspheme against the Church of Kylie by claiming some other much cooler artiste as my favourite to run to.

You've got 5 seconds to place your bets on what i did....

Yep, am ashamed to admit I couldn't quite bring myself to run the risk of making thousands of other runners listen to Your Disco Needs You by Ms Minogue, so put in my 2nd favourite running song instead: Freemasons When You Touch Me which -for some reason- is sooo much cooler (if not quite as original and camp). 

Although on reflection, maybe the campness is a close call:
Versus:

Hmmm.

Aaaanyway, my personal view is that it's quite difficult for any song to compete with those drums at the beginning of Yr Disco Needs You for sheer motivating beat. 

As one of my friends quite rightly said, "Remember that theme tune for Rocky when he starts training? Your Disco Needs You is the gay mans equivalent of that"

Interesting point, and one which made me go on to You Tube to compare.

Play the first 10seconds of Rocky, and then play for the first 25 seconds of La Minogue

(As you can tell by the gays bouncing up and down and clapping like seals, it's impossible to claim this is not a motivating song...)

I think my friend has got a point, although there's definitely more effeminate flapping of hands in the Kylie clip. 

Either way, such heretic behaviour (I've been told) means I have to repent and say five Hail Kylies ASAP or run the risk being booted from the church for ever.

And for those of you scoffing at my wonderfully dire & camp taste in music, can i just mention that someone I know who is a personal trainer and an instructor at a spinning class in the city, plays this (worth skipping forward to the 1min-20secs mark for full joyous impact) to get his class motivated on the final stretch. 

'Nuff said. Now that's running to the beat.

No comments: