I'm hoping to run two marathons in 2010, London and New York, all for Children with Leukaemia
If you want to sponsor me, you can do so at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JamesRunsLDN-NYC

All donations, both great and small, are hugely appreciated, and all funds go direct to the charity (I'll be paying for NY flights and accommodation myself)

Monday 27 April 2009

I did it!! The Highs n Lows of the London Marathon


I'm going to start this final report by mentioning my good friend Si -has done an amazing 10 marathons- who gave me some great advice on Saturday, day before the Marathon. That advice was as follows:

1) Keep your tank full. It's going to run out during the course of the run anyway, so just keep it full for as long as possible. drink lots of water, lots of lucazade at the free stops and take the energy gells

2) hold your head high, smile and enjoy it. That positivity will earn you at least an extra mile.
That second bit of advice got me through the last 4miles i think.

Sooo, some Highs n Lows:

High Point: Crossing the starting line and the first few miles down to Greenwich - crowds along here were brilliant and really gave the runners a brilliant kick-start

High Point: The music: from the church bells in Greenwich to the brass band at Monument -and a million street bands in between- the music added massively to the atmosphere.

Low point: The high temperatures were a definite low!! The heat made it really hard in places. (And the sun has left me with a hugely unattractive chav-tan in the shape of my running vest... damn!). The blue sky was inspiring though, and i think the weather brought out the crowds but it definitely made the going tougher. Thank God for the showers en route.

High point: Running over Tower Bridge was a definite high. To run across such a landmark on London's history and skyline was just a fantastic feeling. I remember seeing it for the first time when i was a small boy, and for me it's always been at the heart of London, so to run over it as part of the London Marathon (and knowing it was the half way mark) was incredible and a definite highlight.




High Point: Over taking celeb runners Peter & Jordan. For those of you not familiar with our UK celeb-obsessed culture, this is Jordan & Peter ...


Quality couple. Serious respect to them for doing it.

Low Point: running all of Canary Wharf and not seeing any of my friends or family, despite knowing they were out there

High point: realizing that actually just knowing my friends and family were out there supporting me somewhere was enough to keep me going.

High point: Passing a pub in the Isle of Dogs which had Madonna's "Ray of Light" bellowing out of some speakers. never were the lyrics "Quicker than a ray of light, i'm flying, trying to remember, where it all began..." more relevant or motivating. Brilliant timing.

High Point: coming round Canary Wharf and feeling a million miles from home but seeing the 21mile marker and realising the worst was over.

Low Point: seeing a guy my age collapse by the side of the road on the 22nd mile, shaking uncontrollably. (Also i saw waaay too many bleeding nipples. Vaseline people, Vaseline!! It ain't difficult!!)

High point: seeing my colleague Sarah outside a pub in Poplar who gave me a massive shout and cheer and yelled "Don't stop" whilst clutching a lovely cold pint of beer. I remember thinking 'Oooh i want that beer' but she shoved me back into the race before i could let my demons get the better of me...

High point: Seeing Tash on mile 23 and suddenly discovering new energy levels! see pic:

Lowest point: The pain in my legs for the last 5miles was unbelievable. I nearly cried coming down the Embankment when i saw the 25mile marker and realised i was going to do it. fortunately the crowds must've seen the look on my face and shouted me on, which saved me. I remember some guy shouting "James - open you eyes! open your eyes, keep running!". I owe him a drink.

High Point: managing a sprint finish down the Pall Mall in front of Buckingham Palace. was dead chuffed with that - slightly regretting it this morning.

Highest point: crossing the finishing line and collecting my medal

High Point: Discovering that in total the marathon team for Family Holiday Association raised £50,000 which is amazing, so thank you all.

High Point: The London crowds. If you were out there cheering us on, then THANK YOU. Made me realise it's London's marathon.

So - definitely more highs than lows.

All in all, truly one of the best days of my life. Seeing so many people run for charities, putting themselves through hours of hell in order to give something back to other people was just incredible. Add to that the WONDERFUL London crowds and immense feeling of support and good-will, and it all adds up to a brilliant day.

For anyone thinking about doing it, they def should. Going by some of the sights i saw yesterday, anyone can do it. All it takes is a bit of dedication and commitment.
As they say, 'impossible is nothing'...

So let's finish with a shot of me and my medal... Can i get a whoop-whoop?


Here's to next year! (did i just say that?)

3 comments:

Evildan said...

Congratulations Mister Watts, a truly remarkable achievement. I wished we had been able to see you, next year I suggest running in full Dolly Parton drag, blond wig, mega boobs and six inch heels please! Failing that just tell us what colour your top is, and we will organise noticeable balloons!

tonyleepeters said...

Wow what an achievement, seriously well done. Thanks for an inspirational post.

Unknown said...

wow seem you had a great run....the events looks very happy...keep up the good work...:D

zbsports